Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Rachel's Birth Story


This picture was taken when Rachel was less than 24 hours old. The nurses combed her hair up so you could see how much she had. I always tell people that Rachel was born with more hair than Taylor had a one year.

Rachel was born a week late. My water broke at 1am in the morning. My parents were visiting because they had brought Mallory back home after having her at their house for one week, hoping that Rachel would come while she was there. They were going to go back home in the morning, but stayed an extra day to watch Mallory while we went to the hospital.

I was 3-4cm when we got to the hospital and while the monitor showed that I was having contractions, I was not feeling them. Around 6:30am, I was given something to calm the baby's erratic heartrate. But it slowed down labor too much, so I was started on pitocin around 8am. By 9:30am, I was ready for an epidural. I had to sit up around 10am for them to put that in. A soon as I laid back down, I felt the intense urge to push. Obviously, sitting up had caused Rachel to slide down into the birth canal.

At this time, only Joe, the nurses and myself were in the room. My doctor had checked me and had decided to go home and eat lunch and that I should be ready for him to come back in the early afternoon. By the third push, Joe could see the top of Rachel's ears. Just before the 4th urge to push, a visiting doctor came running in from the room next door and delivered Rachel's head during the 4th push and the rest of her during the 5th push.

Rachel weighed 9 lbs. 6 ozs. and was 21" long. She had the biggest head circumference of all my babies at 14.5", even though she was only the third biggest. Joseph was my heaviest baby, but his head was only 14.25", but his chest was 15". The nurse who almost delivered Rachel did end up delivering Taylor just under 2.5 years later. You can bet that she still remembered me when I ran into her 5 years later while I was pg with Bailey.Posted by Picasa

No comments: